Frequently Asked Questions

Aviation is a complicated business, so we’ve listed our most frequently
asked questions and answers to help you understand exactly what Camflight can do for you.
If the answers you’re seeking aren’t covered on this page, please contact us here and we’ll be delighted to help.



What are the official Cirrus Transition Training programs?


There are four programs; two transitions and two differences trainings

  1. Basic Cirrus Transition Training is a comprehensive transition program that does not include demonstrating instrument proficiency in the aircraft. You can enroll in this program if you are a Private Pilot without an Instrument Rating.
  2. Advance Cirrus Transition Training is a comprehensive transition program that requires you to demonstrate instrument proficiency in the aircraft. You must enroll in this program if you hold an Instrument Rating or IRR regardless of currency. In other words, we train to the level of certificate you hold.
  3. Avionics Differences Training program helps you master either the Garmin Perspective avionics platform if your initial transition was in an Avidyne-equipped Cirrus or vice versa. At completion of this syllabus is required even if you have flown similar avionics in other makes of aircraft. We believe proficiency in the entire integrated avionics platform, including the GPS, autopilot, displays and interfaces, is paramount to safety.
  4. Airframe/Powerplant Differences Training program allows you to transition between various models of the Cirrus family, usually from an SR20 into an SR22 or SR22T. Its recommended you have 200 hours total time and an Instrument rating to transition into the SR22 models. As a part of our we include a flight up to the service ceiling of FL250 in the SR22T models, giving you valuable training in high altitude operations and procedures  for using oxygen.

FAA Certificate

I’m an Airline Pilot and would like fly in the USA whilst on a trip, How do I get an FAA certificate?

I'm an Airline Pilot and want to fly a light aircraft whilst on a trip to the USA, how do I get an FAA certificate?

Initially you need tor new your EASA Single Engine Piston Class rating(SEP). Then follow the procedure on the FAA Airman webpage 

Allow up to two months for the procedure.


How much do you charge for training?

We are committed to give the best instruction, we may not be the cheapest but we are the best. Check our rates.

How do I convert my ‘foreign’ PPL to a EASA PPL?

Firstly, you do not have to convert to fly in the UK – until 08th April 2017.

Some reasons for wanting an EASA PPL might be to get a UK rating such as an IMC rating, or you might not be able to renew your foreign licence here and are unable to go back to your licence country every one or two years to revalidate/renew it.

There is a good reason soon, with EASA being introduced in the UK you will require a validation or EASA licence after 08th April 2017,  so you may wish to convert to a EASA PPL.  Details of conversion requirements are contained in CAP 804, Section 4, Part Q.

In the case of private pilot licences without an instrument rating, the holder shall comply with the following requirements:

(a) complete the PPL written examinations for Air Law and Human Performance;

(b) pass the PPL skill test as set out in Part-FCL;

(c) fulfil the relevant requirements of Part-FCL for the issue of a type or class rating as relevant to the privileges of the licence held;

(d) hold at least a EASA Class 2 medical certificate;

(e) demonstrate that you have acquired language proficiency in accordance with FCL.055;

(f) have a minimum experience of at least 100 hours as pilot in the relevant category of aircraft.

Please contact me if you need to complete these examinations – I can conduct the ground exams and/or Skills Test and/or Radio tests. If you have less than 100 hours PIC, then please contact me for advice – it is still possible to convert, but the requirements are assessed on an individual basis and are submitted to the CAA by the Approved Training Organisation.

How do I obtain Radiotelephony Privileges if I have an ICAO Licence

Coming soon…

Can I instruct on N-registered aircraft with my EASA instructor certificate?

You may conduct training in a N-registered aircraft with your EASA licence within your EASA privileges, since your EASA licence, rating and certificate is rendered valid in UK airspace by ANO Article 61. From the FAA regulations, 14 CFR 61.3 validates your UK licence for use in UK airspace.

However, ANO Article 225 also restricts aerial work and remunerated flight training or testing without the appropriate exemption. The owner of the aircraft must apply to the CAA on the form below to obtain an exemption to allow remunerated instruction.

You should familiarise yourself with the FAA aircraft documentation and regulations (particularly 14 CFR 91) since they differ from CAA and EASA. In acting as PIC you will be responsible for ensuring compliance with FAA, EASA and CAA regulations.

I hold an FAA certificate and operate an ‘N’ reg aircraft. I also fly G-registered aircraft on my FAA certificate – Will EASA affect me?

Flying ‘G’ registered aircraft: Flying UK registered aircraft on a ‘foreign’ licence (eg: FAA licence) ended on 7th April 2016 for ‘EASA’ aircraft (eg: C172, PA28, Cirrus etc), and either an EASA licence or a formal validation of the foreign licence is now required. For non-EASA aircraft, this continues to be governed by national regulation, which permits the holder of a foreign licence to exercise those privileges – see ANO Article 62.

Flying N reg aircraft, operated by a pilot based in the EU: From April 8th 2016, there is a requirement to hold an EASA licence and rating to fly an ‘N’ registered aircraft within the EU. This will require the pilot to hold an EASA licence with valid ratings and medical. A one-year validation of your FAA licence is permissible in certain circumstances.

NB: this answer applies equally to foreign licences and aircraft registrations from outside the EASA countries, it is not uniquely FAA and ‘N’ reg. See CAP 804, Section 4, Part Q for more detail.

How do I get started with the FAA WINGS Program?

You can register for the WINGS Pilot Proficiency Program at
You can find out more information about the program here.


Why is the altitude on my GPS different than the altitude on my altimeter?

The altimeter does not measure altitude on the Garmin GPS device. That said, the

altimeter in the aircraft measures air pressure. The altimeter is calibrated to display a

certain change in altitude based on a change in air pressure. For every inch of mercury

pressure change, the altimeter displays a change of approx. 1000 ft. of altitude. The GPS

does not use air pressure to determine altitude and is not subject to the pressure errors in

determining altitude. Therefore, the GPS derived altitude is almost always more accurate

than an altimeter. However, since everyone uses a pressure-based system to determine altitude, it is

essential to utilise a pressure sensitive altimeter to ensure required vertical separation.

When updating databases, why can't my computer recognize my SD card?

This error message can result from a wide variety of issues. Below is a list of the most
The SD card may be write protected. When write protected, data cannot be written to
the SD card. On the SD card there is a small locking mechanism that can slide up and
down. To be unlocked, the locking tab should be closer to the metal contacts on the SD
card. Furthermore, the process of inserting the SD card into your Garmin device and/or
SD card programmer may move the locking tab out of place.
The card programmer cannot read or write to a high capacity card. Some card
programmers cannot handle high capacity SD cards without a software download or driver
There is an error or bad data region on the SD card. Perform an error checking scan of
the card through Windows to correct the errors.

What is the difference between a Basemap and an Aviation Database?

Garmin portable aviation GPS units contain different types of overlapping map detail from
different sources. All portable units contain basemap information showing land detail to
include major highways, cities, railroads, major waterways, and lakes. A basemap is
installed at the factory at the time of manufacture and cannot be changed afterward. There
are several Aviation Databases installed ranging from terrain and obstacle to aviation
navigational data which can be updated after purchase.

Where can I find the System ID on my G1000?

The System ID on a G1000 can be found in the ‘AUX’ (Auxiliary) Page Group on the Multi-
Function Display. Use the FMS knob to scroll to the ‘System Status’ page. Within this
page, an ‘Airframe’ box will contain the alpha-numeric System ID which is required to
perform database updates on our FlyGarmin website.

Why am I receiving a glide slope on a GPS LNAV Lateral Navigation (LNAV+V) approach?

The glide path that is generated is based on the information that is used for the Localizer
Performance with Vertical guidance (LPV) and Lateral Navigation / Vertical Navigation
(LNAV/VNAV) procedures. It uses a specified decent angle that is centered at the MAWP
(Missed Approach Waypoint) and at the TCH (Threshold Crossing Height). If this
information is included in the electronic database for the approach, the 400W/500W series,
G1000 with WAAS, and GTN 600/700 series will generate a glide slope.

Can I plan an aviation route or flight plan on the computer and transfer it to the GPS?

There are several Garmin devices that will import flight plan information created on a

computer. Currently, the following products with the latest software support imported flight



400W-500W series


GPSMAP 696 / 695

aera 796 / 795

What is the difference between the legacy 400/500 series units and the WAAS 400w/500w series units?

The WAAS systems have the same capabilities as the 400/500 systems plus a few more.
With the WAAS signal being acquired, the GPS can give vertical guidance to a runway
similar to an ILS glide slope indication. The WAAS units have added display capability
when connected to our GDL 69(A) XM Satellite weather/radio receiver. They also have
additional ARINC 424 leg types to guide a compatible autopilot through procedure turns
and published holds.

Pro Line 21